Tuesday, August 19, 2008

#1: We Become Afraid of the Dark

I have been afraid of the dark for as long as I can remember. I have no memory before that babysitter molested my brother and I, but I remember being afraid of the dark right after that, and for the rest of my life. We all thought it would get better as I grew up. Instead, I am a 35 year old woman who sleeps with a light on. Not just a fucking nightlight, I might add. I am talking the kind of light you could read a book with.

Apparently, as legend has it, my brother and I started sleeping in the bed with my mother at night after that babysitter came into our lives. Babysitter, I don't know who you are, but look what you have done to us. This is why you shouldn't fuck kids, we become afraid of the dark for the rest of our lives.

My husband - he'll walk right outside into the night, like it's nothing. It shocks the fuck out of me every time.

No comments: